1. Americans usually stand slightly
more than an arm’s length from another person during
2. This rule also applies if you are in a line. Stand one
arm’s length from the person in front of you.
3. If you bump into someone, you same "Excuse me."
They will say "No problem."
Passing in the Hallway: (See specific
1. Stay about an arm's length away. Say, "Excuse me
if you come in contact with someone or their possession.
2. Ask permission id yo need to get by. "Excuse me,
may I scoot by here?"
Activities like riding in an elevator,
standing in a streetcar, attending a sports game, etc. are
situations when you are closer.
Role Play: Practice lining up to enter
the school auditorium.
Extension: What might the rules be
when lining up at the post office or at a bank?
Define an area
in the class 10' by 10' square. Have several students pretend
to use it as an elevator. See Lesson & Rubric
for "Riding in an Elevator."