Objective: The student will use an appropriate manner for attracting
the attention of someone who is otherwise engaged.
Language Arts Standard: Listening and Speaking
The Prop Box with 2 telephones
Appropriate Rubric: One for each student to complete during
each role play. To download the student rubric, click here
• Identify Need
• Introductory Activity: Brainstorm times you needed to get
• Define Steps and Sequences of Skill
• Model the Skill
Determine if the other person is available to interact with you.
This may take some judgment calls on your part. How important is
it that you interrupt them? Will they be happy if you interrupt
2. Look at the person. If you can gracefully so do, get within their
3. Don't interrupt if they are speaking, unless it's and emergency.
4. If you must interrupt, say "Excuse me."
5. For your teacher, raise your hand and wait quietly. (Do not wave
your hand or call out their name.)
6. When they acknowledge you and indicate it's all right to speak,
start by saying "thank you."
• Role Plays/Classroom Discussion
• Applications: Levels of need for getting someone's attention
• Independent Uses
for Role Play:
(Speaker)____________________________ Student (Subject)____________________________
Date: _____________________ Observer's Name:___________________________________________
|Did the speaker determine if the person was available (role
|Did the speaker look at the person and address him by his
|Did the speaker wait until the person wasn't speaking?
|Did the speaker start out by saying "excuse me"?
|Did the speaker thank the person for acknowledging him?
Additional Comments: __________________________________________________________
Address in Lesson:
2.4 Offer a logical sequence of information and engage the listener,
foster an acceptance of an idea.
1.2 Determine a speakerís attitude toward a subject.
1.6 Use speaking techniques, including voice modulation , inflection,
tempo, enunciation and eye contact for effective communication.
1.2 Paraphrase a speakerís purpose and point of view and ask relevant
questions concerning the speakerís content, delivery and purpose.
1.3 Organize information to achieve particular purposes by matching
the message, vocabulary, voice modulation, expression and tone
to the audience and purpose.
Return to Skills List
Return to Literature 6th
Return to Literature 7th