Objective: The student will appreciate the cultural diversity
of our country.
Language Arts Standard: Listening, Speaking
the video, "Starting Small," from the Teaching Tolerance
• Identify Need
• Introductory Activity
• Define Steps and Sequences of Skill
Think about the similarities between you and the other person.
Wow! How much you have in common!
2. Now consider the differences between you. How few they are.
3. Think about all the activities you share together as Americans.
Most of the time their lives are like yours.
4. Be appreciative that diversity adds interest and color to our
lives. Imagine eating your favorite food... day after day, always
the same. It soon wouldn't be interesting.
• Model the Skill
• Classroom Discussion: Use Teaching Tolerance Materials.
They are available without cost...and they're great!
• Independent Uses: Pen Pal Groups
Teaching Tolerance Materials
"Different People, Different Values" 20 Minutes
VHS 2016 Producer BFA
"Peace Talks: Respecting
Yourself and Others" 1997 30 minutes
VHS 4467 Grades 6 - 12, Producer HRT
Throughout the world people have many different
customs that follow an array of social skills.
Below are two middle school students in Egypt. Just like us, they
wish to improve their lives through education and hard work.