Objective: The student will listen actively and attentively to someone
else expressing an idea.
Language Arts Standard: Listening and Speaking, all middle school
The Prop Box with 2 telephones
Colored Pencils and 8" x 11" sheets of paper (for
making a get well card)
Appropriate Rubric: One for each student to complete during
each role play
• Identify Need
• Introductory Activity
• Define Steps and Sequences of Skill
Look at the person and be ready to use their name.
2. Sit near where they are within good listening distance.
3. The more intimate the conversation, the closer you will be by
the person talking.
4. Wait for the person to finish talking before you speak.
5. Show your interest in what is being said by nodding or saying
6. Demonstrate your understanding by asking questions, restating
or saying thanks.
• Model the Skill
• Role Plays/Classroom Discussion
• Independent Uses
for the Role Plays
(Speaker)____________________________ Student (Subject)____________________________
Date: _____________________ Observer's Name:___________________________________________
|Did the student look at the person and know their name?
|Did the student sit where he could hear the person
|Did the student move closer when necessary?
|Did the student wait for the person to finish talking before
the student started speaking?
|Did the student continue to indicate interest by nodding or
otherwise visually reacting?
|Did the student demonstrate comprehension by asking questions,
Return to Skills List
Return to Literature 6th
Return to Literature 7th