Objective: The student will ….
Language Arts Standard:
• Identify Need
• Introductory Activity: Try a lesson about auditory processing.
Listening skills sharpen with age. The auditory system in humans
usually matures at age twelve. It provides many "gates"
and "filters." This allows people to concentrate on
something such as reading while not "hearing" sounds
around them. For some people these filters do not exist. (Your
local audiologist or speech therapist will have intriguing information
about this subject.)
• Define Steps and Sequences of Skill
If you are bothered by distractions, sit near the teacher. Desk
on window side of room.
2. Ask the teacher to give you supplemental written materials.
(Mothers and fathers may demand this for their children. See 504
3. Just look at the teacher and your desk.
4. Ignore the joking and horseplay of other students. If it's
an ongoing problem for you, ask to be moved to a different desk.
5. Find a "Study Buddy." This student may take notes
for you and the two of you will discuss class work and homework
• Model the Skill
• Role Plays not advised for this skill.
• Applications- Extensions- discussion about vision and
• Independent Uses